It was created and funded by the Usborne Foundation – a charity of Peter Usborne, founder of Usborne Publishing.
You can find out more and play the game at www.teachyourmonstertoread.com, to sign up and play. It really is completely free! Thanks Usborne!
This fun website has a series of free games to practice the early reading skills. Added in September 2013 is the second level, Fun with Words.
Game 1: First Steps
First steps is compatible with Phases 2 & 3 of Letters and Sounds and complements other major systematic synthetics phonics programmes.
The game contains:
- Letter and sound practice for the first 31 phonemes; (s a t p i n m d g o c k ck e u r h b f ff l ll ss j qu v w x y z zz)
- Basic blending and segmenting practice
- Some tricky words are introduced.
Download the full overview of First Steps (pdf) from Usborne Publishing
Game 2: Fun With Words
The game is designed for children who have already mastered our first game: Teach Your Monster to Read: First Steps. .
- Introduction and practice of new blends and phonemic awareness – ch, sh, th, ng, ai, ee, igh, oa, oo, ar, or, ur, ow, oi, ear, air, ure, er
- Lots of blending and segmenting practice, plus words with adjacent consonants and some multi-syllable words
- Introduction and practice of tricky words: he, she, the, to, we, me, be, was, no, go, my, you, they, her, all, are, said, so, have, like, some, come, were, there, little, one, do when, out, what.
- Reading and comprehension of sentences and captions.
Map of Teach Your Monster to Read